Queen Sugar - TV Show


Standard Synopsis
"Queen Sugar" tells the story of the estranged Bordelon siblings in Louisiana. At the center of the family are Nova, a journalist and activist; Charley, the wife and manager of an NBA player; and formerly incarcerated father Ralph Angel, who is searching for redemption. Following a tragedy in the family, the siblings must put their complicated lives aside so that they can come together to run the clan's struggling sugar cane farm. Also involved in the farm are Aunt Violet and family friend Remy Newell.

------------
This TV show launched in September 2016 on OWN, and from the very first episode, they got me hooked. I was a bit skeptical going into this, I didn't think I would like it much, but decided to check it out anyway. And I got really really hooked.

Quality/VX - The show is derived from the book of the same name, and although I never read the book, I can tell it should be quite a good read if the TV storyline is supposedly its direct reflection. The quality of drama in Season One is really amazing. It’s different yet relate-able, and so very emotional. I like its slow pace and how it takes its time making specific points. The characters display such precise emotions that reveal their vulnerability even as they try to hide it from others, it’s breathtaking to watch. It’s touch on social and cultural issues is quite original and moves you really deeply, whether you’re black, white, brown or yellow.

Graphic – High. There is high level of sex but low in violence. Rating should be 18+

Profanity – Medium. No 'F' bombs, but other profanities are spoken.

The Negative – I'm not a fan of graphic/experimental sex scenes. It's a huge turn off for me, so much that I contemplated discontinuing the show because of it. I’m also not a fan of new age/spirituality/medium paths. Nova, one of the main characters, is clearly a free-spirited spiritualist, and although I respect her character as a dedicated sister and respected member of a community whose voice she continuously fights for, I also find her a bit too cliché of the typical eccentric African-American woman who's heavily influenced by her African ancestral spirits and gods. Season Two emphasizes on this a bit too much, and although the storyline is amazing as well as the rest of the characters, I've indeed decided to take a little break for now from the show.

Overall – 8/10. Great storyline, really great (and really gorgeous) actors and acting. Minus the sex and the spirituality/medium aspects, it would've been 10 points all the way.

Popular Reviews